niicelaady

To paraphrase the Capital One commercial: What's in YOUR head? What's in mine is here: always personal, occasionally political, sometimes a rant on language or pop culture, or a heads-up on an interesting link I've found. I hope that all my friends will visit and comment and gain some insights into the workings of my twisted little mind.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Happy Whatever!

To my Christian friends and those who aren't Christian but celebrate Dec. 25 anyway: Merry Christmas!

To my Jewish friends: Happy Hanukkah!

To my pagan friends: Super Solstice!

To my atheist friends: Happy holidays/season's greetings!

To my "Seinfeld" fan friends: Fabulous Festivus!

Also cool Yule, kwazy Kwanzaa, righteous Ramadan ... there, did I forget anyone?

Oh, yeah, to Bill O'Reilly: Shut the fuck up! Go have some falafel!

Nobody's trying to take Christ out of Christmas by saying "Happy Holidays," OK, Billy boy? This season was sacred in many religions and traditions before Jesus came along. When I say "Happy holidays," I mean, "Blessings to you this season, no matter why it's special to you" -- and that INCLUDES those of you who celebrate the birth of Christ as your Savior.

I am not a Christian. I was raised Catholic. I no longer subscribe to any organized religion, although I believe in a Supreme Being. Today I celebrate Christmas as a historically and culturally significant holiday. And I don't leave Jesus out of it. While I don't believe he was necessarily born of a literal virgin with God as his biological father, he was a great man with an important message, and certainly important as a historical figure. So yeah, I don't worship Jesus as God but have no problem celebrating his birthday.

And I have no problem either, with acknowledging that others don't celebrate Christmas, but it's their holiday season, too.

Ah well, 24 hours from now we'll all be saying "Happy New Year" anyway. Meanwhile, whatever you're celebrating, have a happy one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home