niicelaady

To paraphrase the Capital One commercial: What's in YOUR head? What's in mine is here: always personal, occasionally political, sometimes a rant on language or pop culture, or a heads-up on an interesting link I've found. I hope that all my friends will visit and comment and gain some insights into the workings of my twisted little mind.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

I just got out of prison!

No, it's not what you're thinking. The Solidarity Singers performed at Mount McGregor Correctional Facility tonight. It was our second time there, and we had a blast. The inmates really enjoyed us. Insert your own "captive audience" joke here.

Last time we played, it was just us. Tonight there were also poetry readings along with our music. These guys wrote some awesome stuff. Even one of the guards read a poem. I especially liked the older guy who described the evening as "Woodstock meets Comstock."

Note to self: Wear a sports bra to the next prison gig (Washington Correctional, a week from Wednesday). Bra hooks set off metal detectors! So do reading glasses, but bring them anyway. I had a brief moment of panic when I realized I hadn't memorized the lyrics to a verse I solo on, and couldn't read the page! Larry talked me through it.

In other news: I am no longer a displaced person at work. Have been at our company's other building since the fire a few weeks ago at the one where I normally work. Wednesday we got to go "home." There were roses and a welcome-home balloon to greet me.

Last but far from least: Please send prayers if you are so inclined, healing thoughts if you're not the praying kind, in the direction of our friend Greg. He is hospitalized with a nasty case of the flesh-eating bacteria that almost killed him. He is improving (knock wood) but it will be a long recovery and possibly months on IV antibiotics.

Many of you who read this blog know Greg. Those of you who don't, I hope you have the privilege of meeting him someday. He and his wife are two of the finest people I am blessed to have as friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home