niicelaady

To paraphrase the Capital One commercial: What's in YOUR head? What's in mine is here: always personal, occasionally political, sometimes a rant on language or pop culture, or a heads-up on an interesting link I've found. I hope that all my friends will visit and comment and gain some insights into the workings of my twisted little mind.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Go see "Cars," and other good stuff



Last night NiiceDuude and I went to see "Cars." And what a ride it was! If you see only one flick this summer, make it this one. It is sheer delight. ND is a car nut so he appreciated it even more than I did ... but he let me in on a lot of the in-jokes I would have missed. The picture above is a 1951 Hudson Hornet voiced by Paul Newman. One of the in-jokes ND shared was that the Hornets were VERY big in stock-car racing in the early '50s.

The best part is, ND wasn't originally up for seeing it this weekend because he was preoccupied with the apartment hunt. But yesterday morning he found one! Yaaay! It's in Waterford, so it's closer to me. Double yaaay! It's a four-unit building with three other middle-aged divorced guys who share the cost of cable Internet and satellite TV, and there's a game room with pool table and jukebox. Sounds like a frat house for old farts. And I say it's about time he had the frat-house experience.

In case you're wondering why we don't just move in together, he works in Albany and doesn't want to be this far north. And I work in Glens Falls and don't want to be any farther south.

In other news: the first annual Pokingbrook Northern Tour was a semi-success. It rained, but the park in Greenwich (our first stop) has a big gazebo, so we were able to dance there. Our second stop was the Old Saratoga Trading Post in Schuylerville, and the women weren't up for dancing on loose, wet gravel, but the guys were, and they showed the proprietor (a very cool guy named George) what morris dancing is all about. George also gave us a tour of his place, which is part gift shop, part colonial museum, even though he was closed; he opened up for us.

Pub stop at the 29 Roadhouse was OK. Pricey food, limited menu but a kickass beer selection. Spaten Oktoberfest -- woohoo! I am very glad ND was driving.

If all goes well I will be in a new(er) car in the next few days. Cross fingers for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home