niicelaady

To paraphrase the Capital One commercial: What's in YOUR head? What's in mine is here: always personal, occasionally political, sometimes a rant on language or pop culture, or a heads-up on an interesting link I've found. I hope that all my friends will visit and comment and gain some insights into the workings of my twisted little mind.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Blasting the past

I have been corresponding with an old friend. OK, old lover. Hereinafter BFG (his actual initials), though I'm tempted to call him BFD just because.

Old story, too: I was bored and Googled him. Old feelings reignited after 20 years? Not on my part, just curiosity. On his part? Well, let's just say he knows not to go there.

We talked on the phone and it was a bit awkward, but I hope we'll do it again when it's more comfortable. Part of the awkwardness was crappy cell phone connection, part because after 20 years of no contact, who knows where to start? From how's the job, what are you driving these days, to the innocent memories (so-and-so died, such-and-such a hangout folded) to the heavy stuff: "You KNOW where I was coming from back then, don't you?"

Got me thinking, though, about the whole soulmate issue. Back in the day, I took desperate measures and compromised my principles to hold onto BFG because I thought he was my soulmate and we were destined to be together, yada yada yada.

Now I realize that my soul has many facets and each facet has its mate(s). WB is still No. 1 soulmate and love but can't be everything. For girl talk and gossip there's June C. For goofy wordplay and wits-matching in several languages over beer and smokes there's JB. For political debate there's all of the above and more. For TV/pop culture talk there's Mrs. JB and RF. For a good old-fashioned night out drinking (but not too much, gotta drive), there's Digigal. For making music, well, I'd run out of bandwidth trying to list them all. I would like to see BFG occupy a spot in that universe of mine without trying to take over.

I am blessed to be in a world of good people, or as I like to call it, the asshole-free zone. Looking forward to being in that zone this weekend.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger The Bean said…

    Am I RF? If so - that's cool!

    Radio Fanatic

    P.S. Love your blogs so far!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home